The below publications do not include group-authorship manuscripts (which mainly focus on nutrition, obesity and physical activity)
117. Filippidis F, Laverty A, Gerovasili E, Vardavas C. Two year trends and predictors of e-cigarette use in 27 European Union Member States. Tobacco Control 2016 [In press]
116. Vardavas CI, Hohmann C, Patelarou E, Martinez D, Henderson AJ, Granell R, Sunyer J, Torrent M, Fantini MP, Gori D, Annesi-Maesano I, Slama R, Duijts L, de Jongste JC, Aurrekoetxea JJ, Basterrechea M, Morales E, Ballester F, Murcia M, Thijs C, Mommers M, Kuehni CE, Gaillard EA, Tischer C, Heinrich J, Pizzi C, Zugna D, Gehring U, Wijga A, Chatzi L, Vassilaki M, Bergström A, Eller E, Lau S, Keil T, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Kogevinas M. The independent role of prenatal and postnatal exposure to active and passive smoking on the development of early wheeze in children. ERJ 2016 [in press]
115. Jimenez-Ruiz CA, Sculier JP, Lundback B, Vardavas C, Ignacio De Granda Orive J, Katsaounou P, Haslam P, Heederik DJ, Ravara S, Smyth D, Martin F, Gratziou C; ERS Tobacco Control Committee. Smoking Control Is a Priority to Promote Heart, Lung, Blood, and Sleep Health. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Jun 15;191(12):1471-3. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201504-0746LE
114. Gerovasili V, Agaku IT, Vardavas CI, Filippidis FT. Levels of physical activity among adults 18-64 years old in 28 European countries. Prev Med. 2015 Dec;81:87-91
113. Filippidis FT, Agaku IT, Vardavas CI. Geographic variation and socio-demographic determinants of the co-occurrence of risky health behaviours in 27 European Union member states. J Public Health (Oxf). 2015 May 11. pii: fdv061. [Epub ahead of print]
112. Evlampidou I, Bagkeris M, Vardavas C, Koutra K, Patelarou E, Koutis A, Chatzi L, Kogevinas M. Prenatal Second-Hand Smoke Exposure Measured with Urine Cotinine May Reduce Gross Motor Development at 18 Months of Age. J Pediatr. 2015 [Epub ahead of print]
111. Agaku IT, Olutola BG, Adisa AO, Obadan EM, Vardavas CI. Association between unmet dental needs and school absenteeism because of illness or injury among U.S. school children and adolescents aged 6-17years, 2011-2012. Prev Med. 2015;72:83-8.
110. Vardavas C, Filippidis F, Agaku I. Determinants and prevalence of e-cigarette use throughout the European Union: a secondary analysis of 26,566 youth and adults from 27 Countries. Tob Control 2015;24:442-448
109. Agaku IT, Blecher E, Filippidis FT, Omaduvie UT, Vozikis A, Vardavas CI. Impact of cigarette price differences across the entire European Union on cross-border purchase of tobacco products among adult cigarette smokers. Tob Control 2015;0:1-8
108. Raoof SA, Agaku IT, Vardavas CI. A systematic review of secondhand smoke exposure in a car: Attributable changes in atmospheric and biological markers. 4. Chron Respir Dis. 2015 May;12(2):120-31
107. Agaku IT, Filippidis FT, Vardavas CI. Effectiveness of Text versus Pictorial Health Warning Labels and Predictors of Support for Plain Packaging of Tobacco Products within the European Union. Eur Addict Res. 2015;21(1):47-52.
106. Agaku IT, Omaduvie UT, Filippidis FT, Vardavas CI. Cigarette design and marketing features are associated with increased smoking susceptibility and perception of reduced harm among smokers in 27 EU countries. Tob Control 2015 Dec; 24(4): 233-40.
105. Agaku IT, Adisa AO, Omaduvie UT, Vardavas CI. The relationship between proximity of tobacco retail outlets to schools and tobacco use among school personnel in sub-Saharan Africa. Prev Med. 2014 Aug 21;69C:21-27.
104. Filippidis FT, Agaku IT, Vardavas CI, Majeed A. The association between economic recession and public support for increased tobacco taxation in 27 European countries. Scand J Public Health. 2014;42(7):589-92.
103. Filippidis FT, Gerovasili V, Vardavas CI, Agaku IT, Tountas Y. Determinants of use of smoking cessation aids in 27 European countries. Prev Med. 2014, 65: 99-102.
102. Vardavas C, Karabela M, Agaku I, Matsunaga Y, Myridakis A, Kouvarakis A, Stephanou E, Lymberi M, Behrakis K. Secondhand smoke exposure within semi-open air cafés and tobacco specific 4-(Methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-Pyridyl)-1-Butanol (NNAL) concentrations among nonsmoking employees. International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health. 2014 IJOMEH 2014; 27(5)
101. Martínez-Sánchez JM, Ballbè M, Fu M, Martín-Sánchez JC, Gottlieb M, Saltó E, Vardavas CI, Daynard R, Connolly GN, Fernández E. Attitudes towards Electronic Cigarettes Regulation in Indoor Workplaces and Selected Public and Private Places: A Population-Based Cross-Sectional Study. PLoS One. 2014; 9(12):e114256.
100. Girvalaki C, Vardavas C, Papandreou C, Christaki G, Vergetaki A, Tsiligianni IG, Hatzis C, Kafatos A. Trends in metabolic syndrome risk factors among adolescents in rural Crete between 1989 and 2011. Hormones (Athens). 2014 Apr;13(2):259-67.
99. Agaku I, Odukoya O, Olufajo O, Filippidis F, Vardavas C. Support for smoke-free cars when children are present: a secondary analysis of 164,819 U.S. adults in 2010/2011. 8. Eur J Pediatr. 2014 Nov;173(11):1459-66.
98. Agaku I, Vardavas C, Ayo-Yusuf A, Alpert H, Conolly G. Gender and racial Differences in Smoking of Long/Ultra-long and King size Cigarettes among U.S. adult Smokers, NHANES 1999–2012. Prev Med. 2014, 136:28-35
97. Matsunaga Y, Agaku I, Vardavas C. The association between cigarette rod length, slim design, and blood cadmium levels among U.S. smokers: NHANES 1999-2010. Prev Med. 2014 Aug;65:87-91.
96. Agaku I, Ayo-Yusuf L, Vardavas C. A comparison of smoking cessation counseling received by current smokers at U.S. dentist and physician offices during 2010/2011. Am J Public Health. 2014 Aug;104(8):e67-75
95. Agaku, I, Filippidis F, Vardavas C, Odukoyab O, Awopegbac A, Ayo-Yusuf L, Connolly G. Poly-tobacco use among adults in 44 countries during 2008–2012: Evidence for an integrative and comprehensive approach in tobacco control. Drug and Alcohol Dependency. 2014 139:60-70
94. Tsalapati K, Vardavas C, Athanasakis K, Thireos E, Vozikis A. Pavi E, Behrakis P, Kyriopoulos I. Going up in ashes? Smoking attributable morbidity, hospital admissions and expenditure in Greece. Eur J Public Health. Eur J Public Health. 2014 Jun;24(3):477-9
93. Filippidis F, Schoretsaniti F, Dimitrakaki C, Vardavas C, Behrakis P, Connolly G, Tountas Y. Trends in cardiovascular risk factors in Greece before and during the financial crisis: the impact of social disparities. Eur J Public Health. 2014 Dec;24(6):974-9
92. Filippidis F, Agaku I, Connolly G, Vardavas C. Trends in Age Verification among U.S. Adolescents Attempting to Buy Cigarettes at Retail Stores, 2000-2009. Preventive medicine 61 (2014) 61-65.
91. Agaku, IT, Vardavas CI, Connolly G. Cigarette rod length and its impact on serum cotinine and urinary total NNAL levels, NHANES 2007-2010. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2014. 16(1):100-107
90. Matsunaga Y, Vardavas CI, Plada M, Wärnberg J, Gómez-Martinez S, Tzatzarakis M, Tsatsakis AM, Díaz E, PhD; Marcos A, Kafatos A. The relationship between cotinine concentrations and cytokines/endothelial inflammatory markers among highly secondhand smoke exposed adolescents. Cytokines. 66, 2014: 17-22.
89. Cohen G, Vardavas C, Patelarou E, Kogevinas M, Katz-Salamon M. Adverse circulatory effects of passive smoking during infancy: surprisingly strong, manifest early, easily avoided. Acta Paediatr. 2014 Apr;103(4):386-92
88. Schoretsaniti S, Filippidis F, Vardavas C, Tzavara C, Dimitrakaki C, Behrakis P, Connolly G, Tountas Y. Prevalence and determinants of SHS exposure in public and private areas after the 2010 smoke-free legislation in Greece. Int J Environ Health Res. 2014;24(5):401-11.
87. Agaku IT, Ayo-Yusuf OA, Vardavas CI, Alpert HR, Connolly GN. Use of conventional and novel smokeless tobacco products among US adolescents. Pediatrics. 2013 Sep;132(3):e578-86.
86. Hatzis CM, Papandreou C, Patelarou E, Vardavas C, Kimioni E, Sifaki Pistolla D, Vergetaki A, Kafatos A. A 50 year follow up of the Seven Countries Study: Prevalence of Cardiovascular Risk factors, food and nutrient intakes. Hormones. 2013; 12(3): 379-85
85. Schoretsaniti S, Filippidis FT, Vardavas CI, Dimitrakaki C, Behrakis P, Connolly GN, Tountas Y. 5-Year trends in the intention to quit smoking amidst the economic crisis and after recently implemented tobacco control measures in Greece. Addict Behav. 2013 Sep 20. doi:pii: S0306-4603(13)00274-8.
84. Schoretsaniti S. Filippidis F, Vardavas CI, Tzavara C, Dimitrakaki C, Behrakis P, Connolly G, Tountas Y. Prevalence and determinants of SHS exposure in public and private areas after the 2010 smokefree legislation in Greece. Int J Env Health Res. 2013 Sep 17. [Epub ahead of print]
83. Agaku IT, Vardavas CI, Ayo-Yusuf OA, Alpert HR, Connolly GN. Temporal trends in smokeless tobacco use among US middle and high school students, 2000-2011. JAMA. 2013; 309(19):1992-4.
82. Vardavas CI, Agaku I, Patelarou E, Anagnostopoulos N, Nakou C, Dramba V, Giourgouli G, Argyropoulou P, Antoniadis A, Gourgoulianis K, Ourda D, Lazuras L, Bertic M, Lionis C, Connolly G, Behrakis P. Ashtrays and signage as determinants of a smoke-free legislation’s success. PLoS one-13-02752
81. Agaku IT, Vardavas CI. Disparities and Trends in Indoor Exposure to Secondhand Smoke among U.S. Adolescents: 2000-2009. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 17;8(12):e83058.
80. Vardavas C, Girvalaki C, Lazuras L, Triantafylli D, Lionis, Connolly G, Behrakis P. Changes in tobacco industry advertising around high schools in Greece following an outdoor advertising ban: a follow up study. Tobacco Control. 2013 In press PMID: 23132812
79. Kougias M, Vardavas C, Anagnostopoulos N, Matsunaga Y, Tzwrtzi A, Lymberi M, Connolly G, Behrakis P. The acute effect of cigarette smoking on respiratory function and FENO production among young smokers. Experimental Lung Research 2013 Oct;39(8):359-64
78. Agaku I, Ayo-Yusuf O, Vardavas C, Connolly G. Predictors and patterns of cigarette and smokeless tobacco use among adolescents in 32 Countries, 2007-2011. Journal of Adolescent Health 2013. doi:pii: S1054-139X(13)00419-9
77. Vardavas CI, Fthenou E, Patelarou E, Bagkeris E, Murphy S, Hecht S, Connolly G, Chatzi L, Kogevinas M. Exposure to different sources of second-hand smoke (SHS) during pregnancy and its effect on urinary cotinine and tobacco specific nitrosamine (NNAL) concentrations. Tob Control. 2013 May;22(3):194-200
76. Agaku IT, Vardavas C, Connolly GN. A Proposed Cut-Off for Identifying Adult Smokeless Tobacco Users with Urinary Total 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanonol (NNAL): an aggregated analysis of NHANES 2007-2010 data. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2013 Nov;15(11):1956-61.
75. Alpert HR, Vardavas CI, Chaloupka FJ, Vozikis A, Athanasakis K, Kyriopoulos I, Bertic M, Behrakis PK, Connolly GN. The recent and projected public health and economic benefits of cigarette taxation in Greece. Tob Control. 2014 Sep;23(5):452-4.
74. Girvalaki C, Vardavas C, Tsimpinos G, Dimitrelli G, Hassapidou M, Kafatos A. Nutritional and Chemical Quality of Traditional Spreads and Pies of the Mediterranean diet of Greece. Journal of Food & Nutritional Disorders. 2013;2:1
73. Vardavas CI, Symvoulakis EK, Lionis C. Dealing with tobacco use and dependence within primary health care: time for action. Tob Induc Dis. 2013 Feb 26;11(1):6.
72. Vardavas C, Connolly G. Worls: Dying for frequent flying miles? Tobacco Control 2013;22:80–83
71. Christophi C, Paisi M, Pampaka D, Kehagias M, Vardavas C, Connolly G. The impact of the Cyprus comprehensive smoking ban on air quality and economic business of hospitality venues. BMC Public Health 2013 Jan 27;13:76
70. Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Kougias M, Evangelopoulou V, Connolly GN, Behrakis PK.Acute pulmonary effects of sidestream secondhand smoke at simulated car concentrations. Xenobiotica. 2013 Jun;43(6):509-13.
69. Vardavas CI, Behrakis P. Greece: consumption down at last. Tobacco Control;Jan2012, 21: 1, p2
68. Agaku I, Connolly G, Alpert H, Adisa A, Vardavas C. Concurrent smokeless tobacco and cigarette among Nigerian adolescents: an emerging epidemic. Journal of substance use. 2013 [In press]
67. Filippidis F, Vardavas CI, Behrakis P, Schoretsaniti S, Dimitrakaki C, Connolly G, Tountas Y. Prevalence and determinants of tobacco use among adults in Greece: 4 year trends. Eur J Public Health. 2013 Oct;23(5):772-6
66. Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Patelarou E, Minas M, Nakou C, Dramba V, Giourgouli G, Bagkeris E, Gourgoulianis K, Pattaka P, Antoniadis A, Lionis C, Bertic M, Dockery D, Connolly GN, Behrakis PK. Five-Year Trends of Second-Hand Smoke Exposure in Greece: A Comparison Between Complete, Partial, and Prelegislation Levels. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2012 Dec;25(6):349-54
65. Hohmann C , Govarts E, Bergström A, Cordier S, Eggesbo M , Guxens M, Heinrich J , Kasper - Sonnenberg M, Kogevinas M, Neuman A, Ranft U , Tischer C , Vandentorren S, Vardavas C , Patelarou E, Wickman M, Trnovec T, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Keil T , Bonde J. Joint Data Analyses of European Birth Cohorts: Two Different Approaches. Webmed Central Epidemiology, 2012; 3(12):WMC003869
64. Tsiligianni I, Vardavas CI, Bouloukaki I, Kosmas E, Verigou E, Kiriakaki M, Siafakas N, Tzanakis N. The association between alcohol and tobacco use among elementary and high school students in Crete, Greece. Tob Induc Dis. 2012; 10(1):15.
63. Hatzis CM, Papandreou C, Vardavas CI, Athanasopoulos D, Balomenaki E, Kafatos AG. Atherogenic risk factors among preschool children in Crete, Greece. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 16(5):809-14.
62. Patelarou E, Girvalaki C, Brokalaki H, Patelarou A, Androulaki Z, Vardavas C. Current evidence on the associations of breastfeeding, infant formula, and cow's milk introduction with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2012; 70(9):509-19.
61. Vardavas CI, Filippidis FT, Agaku I, Mytaras V, Bertic M, Connolly GN, Tountas Y, Behrakis P.Tobacco taxation: the importance of earmarking the revenue to health care and tobacco control. Tob Induc Dis. 2012 Dec 27;10(1):21.
60. Vardavas CI, Anagnostopoulos N, Kougias M, Evangelopoulou V, Connolly GN, Behrakis PK. Short-term pulmonary effects of using an electronic cigarette: impact on respiratory flow resistance, impedance, and exhaled nitric oxide. Chest 2012;141(6):1400-6.
59. Tzatzarakis MN, Vardavas CI, Terzi I, Kavalakis M, Kokkinakis M, Liesivuori J, Tsatsakis AM. Hair nicotine/cotinine concentrations as a method of monitoring exposure to tobacco smoke among infants and adults. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2012 Mar;31(3):258-65.
58. Avlonitou E, Kapsimalis F, Varouchakis G, Vardavas CI, Behrakis P. Adherence to CPAP Therapy improves Quality of Life and reduces symptoms among Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome Patients. Sleep and Breathing. 2012; 16(2):563-9
57. Rosen LJ, Guttman N, Hovell MF, Noach MB, Winickoff JP, Tchernokovski S, Rosenblum JK, Rubenstein U, Seidmann V, Vardavas CI, Klepeis NE, Zucker DM. Development, design, and conceptual issues of project zero exposure: A program to protect young children from tobacco smoke exposure BMC Public Health. 2011; 11:508.
56. Loukopoulou A, Vardavas CI, Farmakides G, Rossolymos C, Chrelias C, Tzatzarakis M , Tsatsakis A, Lymberi M, Connolly GN, Behrakis P. Design and study protocol of the Maternal Smoking Cessation during Pregnancy study, (M-SCOPE). BMC Public Health 2011; 11:903.
55. Lionis C, Vardavas CI, Symvoulakis E, Papadakaki M, Anastasiou F, Antonopoulou M, Apostolakis C, Dimitrakopoulos S, Fountakis F, Grammatikopoulos I, Komninos J, Kounalakis D, Ladoukaki E, Makri K, Petraki C, Ploumis N, Prokopiadou D, Stefanaki I, Tsakountakis N, Tsiligianni I, Tzortzis E, Vasilaki A, Vasilopoulos T, Vrentzos G. Measuring the burden of herpes zoster and post herpetic neuralgia within primary care in rural Crete, Greece. BMC Family Medicine. 2011; 12:136.
54. Kroustallaki P, Tsimpinos G, Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Fatty acid composition of Greek margarines and their change in fatty acid content over the past decades. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2011; 62:685-9
53. Vardavas CI, Seidenberg A. Connolly G. Regulating duty free sales and tobacco advertising in airports: a call for action. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2011; 9:7 (editorial)
52. Patelarou E, Vardavas CI, Ntzilepi P, Warren C, Barbouni A, kremastinou J, Connolly G, Behrakis P. Nursing education and beliefs towards tobacco cessation and control: a cross- sectional national survey (GHPSS) among nursing students in Greece. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2011; 9:4.
51. Vardavas CI, Flouris AD, Tsatsakis A, Kafatos AG, Saris WH. Does adherence to the Mediteranean diet have a protective effect against active and passive smoking? Public Health. 2011; 125(3): 121-8
50. Papadopoulos G, Vardavas CI, Limperi M, Linardis A, Georgoudis G and Behrakis P. Smoking cessation can improve quality of life among COPD patients: validation of the clinical COPD questionnaire into Greek. BMC Pulmonary Medicine. 2011; 11:13
49. Vardavas CI, Behrakis PK, Connolly GN. Chronic disease to top agenda. Beware tobacco companies' spurious financial arguments. BMJ. 2011 Feb 22;342:d1145.
48. Vardavas CI, Patelarou E, Grander M, Chatzi L, Palm B, Fthenou E, Roumeliotaki T, Koutis A, Kafatos A, Vrijheid M, Connolly G, Murphy S, Vahter M, Kogevinas M. The association between active/passive smoking and toxic metals among pregnant women in Greece. Xenobiotika 2011; 41(6):456-63
47. Karabela M, Vardavas CI, Tzatzarakis M, Tsatasakis A, Connolly G, Behrakis P. The Relationship between indoor air quality and urinary cotinine levels among non smoking bar workers. Journal of Aerosol Medicine and Pulmonary Drug Delivery. 2011; 24(1):35-41
46. Vardavas CI, Dimitrakaki C, Schoretsaniti S, Patelarou E, Fillipides F, Connolly G, Tountas Y. The role of the non-smoker in enforcing smoke free laws. Journal of Public health policy 2011; 32(1):46-59
45. Papadaki A, Valsta LM, Lampi AM, Penalvo J, Adlercreutz H, Vardavas C, Kafatos A. Differences in nutrient intake during a Greek Orthodox Christian fasting and non-fasting week, as assessed by a food composition database and chemical analyses of 7-day weighed food samples. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 2011; 24:22-28
44. Symvoulakis E, Vardavas CI, Fountouli P, Stavroulaki A, Antoniou KM, Duijker G, Tzatzarakis M, Sfiridaki K, Bolonaki E, Alegakis T, Tsatsakis A, Lionis C. Time interval from cigarette smoke exposure to blood donation and markers of inflammation: Should a smoking cut-off be designated? Xenobiotika 2010; 40(9):613-20
43. Vardavas CI, Patelarou E, Chatzi L, Roumeliotaki T, Sarri K, Murphy S, Koutis A, Kafatos A, Kogevinas M. Factors associated with active smoking, quitting and second-hand smoke exposure among pregnant women in Greece. Journal of Epidemiology. 2010; 20(5):355-62
42. Vardavas CI, Plada M, Tzatzarakis M.N, Marcos A, Warnberg J, Gomez-Martinez S, Breidenassel C, Tsatsakis A.M, Saris W.H, Moreno L.A, Kafatos A.G, On Behalf Of The Helena Heraklion Study Group. Passive smoking alters circulating naïve/memory lymphocyte T-cell subpopulations in children. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 2010; 21(8):1171-8
41. Vardavas CI, Chatzi L, Patelarou E, Plana E, Sarri K, Kafatos A, Koutis A, Kogevinas M. Smoking and smoking cessation during early pregnancy and its effect on adverse pregnancy outcomes and fetal growth. European Journal of Pediatrics 2010; 169:741-748
40. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Hatzis C, Saris W, Kafatos A. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors and dietary habits of Farmers from Crete 45 Years after the first description of the Mediterranean diet. Eur J Card Disease 2010; 17(4):440-6
39. Vardavas CI, Mangiaracina G, Behrakis P. “Environmentally friendly” brand promotion activities: Cigarette butt clean up campaigns. Tobacco Control 2010; 19(3):259.
38. Vardavas CI, Symvoulakis K, Connolly G, Patelarou E, Lionis C. What defines an effective anti-tobacco TV advertisement? A pilot study among Greek Adolescents. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2010; 7(1):78-88
37. Vardavas CI. Key points in preventing tobacco use among adolescents. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2010; 8:1 (Editorial)
36. Lionis C, Symvoulakis M, Vardavas CI. Implementing family practice research in countries with limited resources and capacity: A stepwise model experienced in Crete, Greece. Family Practice. 2010; 27(1):48-54
35. Flouris AD, Vardavas CI, Metsios G, Tsatsakis A, Koutedaki Y. Biological evidence for the acute health effects of secondhand smoke exposure. American Journal of Physiology: Lung, Cellular and Molecular Physiology. 2010; 298(1):3-12
34. Vardavas CI, Lionis C, Polychronopoulos E, Zeimbekis A, Bountziouka V, Stravopodis S, Metallinos G, Panagiotakos DB. The role of passive smoking on the prevalence of type II diabetes mellitus among elderly men and women living in Mediterranean islands: the MEDIS study. Diabetic Medicine 2010; 27(2):242-243
33. Vardavas CI, Tzatzarakis MN, Plada M, Tsatsakis A, Papadaki A, Saris WH, Moreno L, Kafatos AG, on behalf of the HELENA Heraklion Study Group. Biomarker evaluation of Greek adolescents’ exposure to second-hand smoke. Human and Experimental Toxicology. 2010; 29(6):459-66
32. Vardavas CI, Connolly G, Karamanolis K, Kafatos A. Preventing Adolescent Smoking Via Graphic Cigarette Warning Labels. European Journal of Public Health. 2009 19(2):212-7.
31. Bouloukaki I, Tsoumakidou M, Vardavas CI, Mitrouska I, Koutala E, Siafakas N, Tzanakis N. Maintained smoking cessation for 6 months equilibrates the percentage of sputum CD8+ lymphocyte cells with that of non-smokers. Mediators of Inflammation 2009:812102.
30. Vardavas CI, Connolly G, Karamanolis K, Kafatos A. Preventing Adolescent Smoking Via Graphic Cigarette Warning Labels. European Journal of Public Health. 2009 19(2):212-7.
29. Vardavas CI, Papadaki A, Saris W, Kafatos A. Does adherence to the Mediterranean diet modify the impact of smoking on health? Public Health. 2009; 123(6):459-460
28. Lionis C, Symvoulakis EK, Markaki A, Vardavas C, Papadakaki M, Daniilidou N, Souliotis K, Kyriopoulos I. Integrated primary health care in Greece, a missing issue in the current health policy agenda: a systematic review. International Journal of Integrated Care. 2009; 9:e88
27. Patelarou E, Vardavas CI, Ntzilepi P, Sourtzi P. Nursing education and practice in a changing environment: the case of Greece. Nurse Education Today. 2009; 29(8):840-4
26. Patelarou E, Vardavas CI, Fioraki I, Alegakis T, Dafermou, M, Tzilepi P. Euthanasia in Greece: Greek Nurses involvement and attitudes. International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2009; 15(5):242-8.
25. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Does prolonged bottle use effect obesity indexes among preschool children? International Public Health Journal. 2009;1(2)
24. Vardavas CI, Bouloukaki I, Linardakis M.K, Tzilepi P, Tzanakis N, Kafatos A. Smoke free hospitals in Greece: Personnel perceptions, compliance and smoking habits. Tobacco Induced Diseases. 2009. 31;5(1):8
23. Vardavas CI, Panagiotakos D. The causal relationship between passive smoking and inflammation on the development of cardiovascular disease: a review of the evidence. Inflammation and Allergy-Drug Targets 2009; 8(5):328-33.
22. Vardavas CI, Connolly G, Kafatos A. Geographical Information Systems as a Tool for Monitoring Tobacco Industry Advertising. Tobacco Control. 2009; 18(3):190-196
21. Vardavas CI, Kondilis B, Patelarou E, Akrivos D, Falagas M. Health Literacy And Sources Of Health Education Among Adolescents In Greece. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health 2009; 21(2):179-86
20. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Hatzis C, Saris W, Kafatos A. Prevalence of Obesity and Physical Inactivity among Farmers from Crete (Greece), Four Decades after the Seven Countries Study. Nutrition Metabolism and Cardiovascular Disease 2009; 19(3): 156-162
19. Vardavas CI, Behrakis P. Greece: Action at last. Tobacco Control. 2009; 18(2): 79-80
18. Vardavas CI, Conolly G, Karamanolis K, Kafatos A, Adolescents perceived effectiveness of the proposed European graphic tobacco warning labels. European Journal of Public Health, 2009;1-6
17. Mantziou V, Vardavas CI, Kletsiou E, Zaxos I, Priftis K. Predictors of childhood exposure to parental secondhand smoke in the house and family car. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2009; 6, 433-444
16. Vardavas CI. Does adherence to the Mediterranean diet modify the impact of smoking on health? Public Health 123(2009) 459-460. (Letter)
15. Vardavas CI, Bouloukaki I, Linardakis M.K, Ntzilepi P, Tzanakis N, Kafatos A. Secondhand smoke exposure and excess heart disease and lung cancer mortality among hospital staff in Crete, Greece: a case study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2008; 5(3):125-129
14. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Hatzis C, Malliaraki N, Saris W, Kafatos A. Smoking Status in Relation to Serum and Dietary Vitamin intake. Tobacco Induced Diseases 2008, 4:8
13. Papadaki A, Vardavas C, Hatzis C, Kafatos A. Nutrient and food intake during a Greek Orthodox Fasting and non fasting week. Public Health Nutrition 2008; 11(10):1022-1029
12. Symboulakis EK, Vardavas CI, Fountouli P. Adverse reactions to blood Donation among adolescents. JAMA 2008; 300(15): 1759-1760
11. Papadaki A. Vardavas C, Hatzis C, Kafatos A. Calcium, nutrient and food intake of Greek Orthodox Christian monks duing a fasting and non-fasting week. Public Health Nutrition 2007; 1-8
10. Vardavas CI, Kondili B, Petsetaki E, Tountas Y, Kafatos A.G. Environmental Tobacco Smoke in hospitality venues in Greece. BMC Public Health 2007; 7(1):302
9. Vardavas CI, Athanasopoulos D, Balomenaki E, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Smoking habits of Greek preschool children’s parents. BMC Public Health 2007, 7:112
8. Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Smoking policy and prevalence in Greece. European Journal of Public Health 2007; 17 (2): 211–213
7. Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Bans on smoking in public places: Policy enforcement needed. The Lancet 2007; 370(9582): 133-134 (letter)
6. Vardavas CI, Giannopoulos S, Kiriakakis M, Poulli K, Kafatos A. Fatty acid and salt content of snacks in the Cretan and Cypriot market: A children’s and adolescents dietary hazard. Food Chemistry 2007; 101:924-931
5. Vardavas CI, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Environmental Tobacco Smoke exposure in motor vehicles. Tobacco control. 2006; 15(5):415
4. Vardavas CΙ, Majchrzak D, Wagner K-H, Elmadfa I, Kafatos A. Lipid analysis of wild Cretan greens. Food Chemistry 2006; 99 (4): 822-834
3. Vardavas CΙ, Majchrzak D, Wagner K-H, Elmadfa I, Kafatos A. The antioxidant and phylloquinone content of wildly grown greens in Crete. Food Chemistry 2006; 99 (4): 813-821
2. Vardavas CI, Tzatzarakis M, Tsatsakis A, Athanasopoulos D, Balomenaki E, Linardakis M, Kafatos A. Biomarkers of Passive Smoking among Greek Preschool Children. European Journal of Pediatrics 2006; 165(12): 891-6
1. Vardavas CI, Kafatos A. Greece’s tobacco policy: Another myth? The Lancet 2006; 367 (9521): 1485-1486 (letter)