Constantine Vardavas, MD, RN, MPH, PhD, FCCP was a Senior Research Scientist of the Harvard School of Public Health, the Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, before returning to Europe to spearhead tobacco control initiatives. He is senior author of over 170 research articles and participates in numerous research projects and committees in Europe and America on the subject of public health and health promotion.
His research and educational activities mainly focus on health behaviors (such as smoking, alcohol, diet, physical exercise) and how society can contribute to personal changes. His mission is to improve health throughout the human lifespan, including a special emphasis on children and adolescents. This mission is achieved through research to identify the social and behavioral determinants of health, the development and evaluation of interventions and policies leading to the improvement of population health.
Particular emphasis gives the teaching practice of public health applications (public health practice), prevention and health promotion, and research methodology.
- 2010 (PhD), Maastricht University, Netherlands
- 2012 (MD), Degree in Medicine, University of Crete Medical School
- 2006 (MPH), Master in Public Health, University of Crete Medical School
- 2005 (RN), Nursing TEI of Crete
- Continuing education at Harvard, WHO, CDC, US-NIH, Karolinska etc.
Scientific publications and reports (in ISI Expanded in April 2016)
- Total: 227 international scientific publications, 2300+ citations, 25 h-index
- 117 scientific publications as senior author: 630 citations
- 110 scientific publications as a working group: 1735 citations
- 800+ Total impact factor: 4.4 average impact factor (Impact Factor)
Read more HERE
Research programs as Principal Investigator or co-manager 2014-2016,
- 2016-2019 EUREST-PLUS: EU Horizon2020-HCO-2015.
- 2016-2018: TITAN-2: Pfizer Independent Grant for learning & Change.
- 2016-2018: EPACTT2: Pfizer Independent Grant for learning & Change.
- 2015-2019 TACK-SHS: EU Horizon2020-HCO-2015. WP leader.
- 2015-2018 TOB-G: EU 3rd Health programme: HP-PJ-2014.
- 2015-2016 DIRECT: European Commission: EAHC / 2015 / Health / 02.
- 2015-2016 PRECISE: European Commission: EAHC / 2013 / Health / 23
- 2014-2015 EUREST: European Commission: EAHC / 2013 / Health / 28.
- 2015-2016 TITAN: Pfizer Independent Grant for learning & Change.
- 2014-2016 EPACTT: Pfizer Independent Grant for learning & Change.
- Research Positions in 19 research projects (US-NIH, US-NCI, EU-FP6, EU-FP7, ESPA, Horizon2020)
- Referee in 30+ journals
- Referee for competative research projects in the USA and the United Kingdom
- Referee (invited) for European Projects under the European Commission, 3rd Health programme
- Editor-in-Chief, Tobacco Induced Diseases (IF2). Read more
- Best Researcher Award 2015, European Network for Smoking and Tobacco Prevention, 2015
- Best Young Professionals Award 2014-2017 for European Tobacco Control, European Association of Cancer Leagues. Awarded at the European Conference for Tobacco or Health, March 2014. This award is given once every three years in the best European researcher for smoking.
- Award Ed-Nelson. Best young researcher of International Society of the Prevention of Tobacco Induced Diseases (ISPTID). ISPTID Vienna, Austria 2010